(Heads up this is directly copied from Sport Canada’s website)
National Sport Organizations (NSOs) are the national governing bodies for their sports in Canada. These organizations serve a number of important functions, such as:
- governing all aspects of a sport within Canada;
- managing their high performance programs;
- selecting and managing their national teams;
- implementing national initiatives to develop and promote their sport;
- sanctioning national level competitions and tournaments;
- providing professional development for coaches and officials in their sports;
- proposing and supporting bids for international competitions in Canada.
And… drum-roll please… here are the 57 official NSOs in Canada. Official because they are each, in part, extent funded by Sport Canada. We will add more as we find them.